PLEASE READ our COVID-19 Guidance
Eigg’s community response to COVID-19
Update 27 March 2021
On the 16th of March, the Scottish Government laid out its timetable for easing restrictions. In this timetable the following objectives were set out.
Assuming the data allows it, we expect a more significant reopening of the economy and society from 26 April. This will likely include the following easings:
- travel within all of mainland Scotland permitted (subject to other restrictions that remain in place)
- tourist accommodation to reopen (self-catering accommodation to be restricted in line with rules on indoor gathering)
- outdoor hospitality to open till 10pm with alcohol permitted. Indoor hospitality permitted without alcohol and closing at 8pm
In Nicola Sturgeon’s statement to the Scottish Parliament, she also said regarding the possible re-opening on the 26th of April:
The island communities currently in level 3 will have the option to move at that stage to level 2. However, if restrictions on socialising and hospitality are relaxed more quickly and significantly on the islands, there may be a need to retain some restrictions on travel to and from the mainland – to protect island communities from the importation of new cases.
However, rather than impose that decision now on our island communities, we intend to discuss it directly with them to determine what arrangements they consider will work best for their circumstances.
As an Island community, Eigg through a resident’s vote taken at the end of last year, took the decision to follow government guidelines and reopen when easing of restrictions allowed.
Therefore, on the 26th of April, as long as the Government guidance hasn’t changed, most of the self-catering accommodation will be looking to reopen, along with Galmisdale Bay Café & Bar and Eigg Adventures.
All the businesses will be following the guidance and protocols laid down for safe reopening by the government and social distancing will be in place where required.
Please ensure that if you are planning on visiting our island you check all the guidance available at your time of travel to ensure that you can travel to Eigg from the area you live in.
Please not that at present there is no date set for non-essential travel between Scotland and the rest of the UK and the wider Common Travel Area (CTA) (i.e., the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man) to commence. It is hoped that this will be permitted on or soon after 26th of April.
To help keep everyone safe and ensure your visit/stay on Eigg is enjoyable we would ask that you:
- Respect the changes that the Tourism Businesses here, have put in place, to protect both you, their staff and themselves.
- Please ensure that you take all precautions while on the island to observe social distancing, hand washing/sanitising procedures and mask wearing when required.
- We are fortunate that our wee island shop has managed to stay open throughout the pandemic but in line with social distancing guidance they can only accept 3 customers at a time. To help the shops smooth running we ask that whenever possible you place orders by email for delivery to your holiday accommodation. Orders can be emailed to email@example.com
- Avoid busy areas, whenever possible. The pier area can become quite busy at boat times with deliveries and other goods arriving so please try and avoid this area at these times if possible.
- Advise your host immediately if you or your family show symptoms of Covid 19, either during, or in the 10 days after your visit.
We (the residents) and the all the Tourism Businesses here, will do our part by:
- Following Government Covid 19 Guidelines on Health and Safety.
- Observing social distancing, hand washing/sanitising and mask wearing rules.
- Advising you should there be a Covid 19 outbreak anywhere on the island during your stay.
To find out what the level of where you live in is, and what you can and can’t do, click HERE